Monday, March 31, 2014

FUNDAY MONDAY March 31, 2014... # 2 Process



When I 




My 
Today's prompt is about process...When you are in your "artistic flow" what are the tools or rituals you used to get yourself there? Is there a certain time of day you do your art and for how long? Do you listen to music? If so what kind? A favorite creative shirt/outfit you wear? We want to know the details and would love to see a picture of you creating!

I don't think I have special rituals when I am getting ready to  work in my studios. I  pretty well just plan my days a bit ahead so I can fit all the meetings and extra curricular activities into my week. If I don't plan and make list I tend to waste a lot of time wondering what to do next.



If the weather is nice I like to start with a walk. Not always a long one but one to get my blood moving and the kinks out of my joints. I have gotten in the habit of taking my little camera along instead of relying on my phone but these are not for art work. Just for fun and sometimes a nice photo to add to a blog or comment.

I do know I am most productive in the early part of the day and start winding down about coffee time in afternoon. By the time I finish my coffee and get dinner on the table I am pretty well finished for the day. Using the evenings to catch up with correspondences and friends on The Daily Creative Practice. I like to write in my blog daily and do the editing of my photos in evenings and sometimes on into the night. I love to read so if I am busy in the daytime I will spend way too many late hours reading. Usually until I can't see any more and have to quit.

My favorite clothes to wear when I am working on a project in one of my studios will depend on the weather if I am out side and if I am inside will depend on what I am doing and how messy it is...I have some old clothes and an apron I like if needed..If I am sewing it will depend on my mood...but no matter what I do it will always be something comfortable. I am all into comfort now...

My parents both worked when I was a teen and I hated to wake up in the morning to a silent house so now the first thing I do when I get out of bed in the morning is turn my TV on to the music channel. Either Classical or Easy listening. It is always quietly playing in the background and does not get turned off until the TV goes on in the evening to watch whatever favorite program is on that evening. In my studios I prefer quiet. I can then listen to my thoughts, nature or the ringing in my ears. I tried to have music in my studios but learned very quickly I much prefer the quiet and the sounds of nature. I do a lot of thinking while I am working on my art...either planning the next step or how to do the next step or sometimes just random thoughts flit around creating the most interesting montage of images  that may or may not become a new art project.

The images posted here, except for my shadow photo, are all from the Life Book 2013. A 52 week art class that is a work in progress. I hope to finish it before this year is over with.





6 comments:

  1. Darlene, I like your creative day a lot (except the coffee late in the day - I'd be up all night) and your quiet evenings. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your quirky birds! They might be friends with Ruth's "Authentically Me" sassy little bird (that's on her original DCP blog as today is the 1st Birthday).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about the lists and the comfort, too, Darlene! That just means we're getting wiser not older--smart people use props and don't cut off their circulation!!. These bird are wonky wonderful!! What media did you use for them...and more details about your Life Book art class, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the Bravery image - I have facebook friends that love that lifebook class! I'm learning that the walks really help me and inspired me - now that I've trained myself to slow down and observe! I can understand wanted the quiet - it doesn't totally work for me all the time - only when the weather is nice and I can open the door to my studio and smell the grass and hear the dogs barking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I do love seeing images that you haven't written about in the past! They are like old friends returning and have become part of my life, as you have Darlene! I admire the pace at which you lead your life and how you are able to achieve so much. I love imagining your taking your walks with your camera and getting pulled into the beautiful world you have there in Florida. I appreciate see your home and its nature through your lens! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlene - as always my friend your words and artwork inspire and delight me! Thank you for being you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these images!!! And really enjoyed your voicing in this post!

    ReplyDelete