Tuesday, April 15, 2014

FUNDAY MONDAY April 14, 2014 # 4 Show and Tell

 Every consciously creative person I know has a stash of images, quotes, books, spices, garden ideas, etc. that they have been drawn to, and use as inspiration. 
SHOW something that inspired you and what it inspired you to create.
TELL: What do you keep as inspiration? How and where do you store it? And, when do you pull it out? Why? Whose work do you collect? Is there one person who inspired you to take your creative path? Maybe include links for others of us to learn from and be inspired as well.

Lee has ask us to do a bit of 'show and tell'  and share what, who, where and why of our inspiration. For starters I will do a bit of show and tell. 

Not long ago after seeing the photo that Ruth posted of a statue at the Ichno-Art Cat Palace on her FB page it inspired me to make my own statue. 





My inspiration..."A Garden Goddess by BlueFire MacMahon..Go here to see her site.








Here is my Pixelated Women inspired from Ruth's Garden Goddess above. You can see the complete assemblage of her here



Art, doll making and
sewing books


I have a huge stash of stuff I have collected over the years...I won't even try to list what I have...some of it is useless and some is non replaceable...all of it is getting sorted again soon but I think my favorite thing to have is my collection of books..I love books of all kinds and have since as far back as I can remember...I have books on doll making, and quilting and many types of art. I have quarterly'smonthlies and annuals. I have hardback, magazine types, altered and hand made books. And I just keep on collecting. I would part with my first born son before I would part with my books. I am kidding of course...I use them for inspiration, instructions and browsing. Sometimes just for reading. If it is written it is precious to me.  If you read you can learn anything, go anywhere and be anyone...all it takes is a little imagination...
More of my sewing books


Quilt books in back files and art books in front files



Here is a sampling of some of my favorite 'how to' books...My interest runs the gamut from altered art, to couture sewing to playing in concrete. The concrete book is where I learned the technique for sculpting the way the 'Pixelated Goddess is done.




One of my all time favorite artist is Kumiko Sudo. Her work is so gently elegant. I have collected all of her books to date and have tried to make something from each of them...







Here is a sample of a quilt I did from her book which I then taught to my quilt group a few years back. 

I also used an idea from one of her quilt designs for a page in my LifeBook 2014 that I am working on completing.
Someday


I have never formally studied art. I have no degrees other than a degree in patience to learn however I can. I have no one artist in particular that inspired me to start on the path of art. If the truth were known I was discouraged to do art at a young age by negative criticism from teachers and family. Somewhere along the way I found my self and embarked on a creative venture...It has led me to many different venues, mediums and people of like mind. I love going to museums, galleries juried art shows and I love surfing the web looking at art and for art tutorials. I enjoy looking at some of the artist on our DCP page and have been inspired by many of the member artist featured here. I especially enjoy reading their blogs...Sort of a like having a book with chapters in my computer. Have I mentioned how much I love books?

The  Weber Gallery is a small gallery located in the CFCC near my home in Florida. The exhibit changes each month or so and it is free...Free is good! I try to make it to each exhibit either with my hubby or a friend. I find looking at other's art is a great inspiration to me.

And did I mention I love books... !

6 comments:

  1. yes - you do love books! as do I! however as part of my word of the year "simplify" - I've cleaned out some of my books - I like to look at it as putting them back into the world. but - I do keep my artbooks around! I love that you have such varied interests - and yes - you can go anywhere and experience anything with books!!! Love your pixelated woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene, I continue to be so very thankful that I met you (thank heavens for social media and your Altered Minds Art group)! I notice one of your books up there is titled "Alterered Art." Can you tell me what you got from that? And how about the book, Brave Intuitive Painting? Love to more in detail. I admire you for the breadth of your interest and expression of LIFE. You surely are full of LOVE and CREATIVITY. How privileged I feel to learn from you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Brave Intuitive Painting book is the one I used form my intuitive workshop in January with my daughter Debbie and friend Ellen..I certainly did learn to let go and just paint how I felt when I had the intuitive workshop..That was very hard for me...to finally say there is no right and wrong...just let it flow..and I am still working on that part of my art...The Altered Art book is one of the first books I bought on altering 'stuff'...I did not know about altered art until I met Ellen and got into the Altered MInds group. It has been since that time that I have had so much fun altering my art instead of just doing straight out realistic art i.e. painting, sculpting etc...I get tons of ideas from my books and that is one of mt favorites...it covers books, cards boxes etc..

      Delete
  3. You are such a kindred spirit and inspiration to me Darlene! I feel that finally someone 'gets' me and it is SUCH a relief! Knowing you are there each day at the other end of the FB umbilicus makes such a difference!! My library isn't as extensive as yours (yet ;) ) but how funny it is that you have 'Brave Intuitive Painting' AND that Ruth went straight to it. I have been looking at this book for a while at Jo Ann (although I haven't bought it yet) and thinking that this is what I need to embark on. Their book section is a total MESS, yet every time I go to peruse the book section that book always manages to jump into my hands. As TJ pointed out in his blog this week, 'When the student is ready, the teach will appear.' Perhaps it is my time to 'let go' as you say? What advice did you give your students in your workshop? Where do I go next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some how I missed this comment from you Carol...Sorry about that...It is a wonderful book and if it keeps jumping out at you then you need it..We four, I forgot to mention my grand daughter was there also, had a fun and productive time doing our intuitive paintings and in fact I am thinking of having another workshop and include a group painting..maybe each of us will have one canvas that the others can paint on plus their own individual canvases..sort of like the one Christine showed on FB...As for advice to my students...they are not students but friends who come to paint together..I think they teach me as much as I could ever teach them...I just set up the studio and provided the meals...the rest was left to your creative intuition..Thanks for stopping by Carol.

      Delete
  4. wonderful to see your stash of books and other influences. admire the diversity of your artwork.

    ReplyDelete