Sunday, December 6, 2015

MOVING

is never an easy task  and dealing with the feelings  that are part of it is an emotional affair to say the least. 
The bamboo free to spread where ever it wants to go...
We have lived in this house only a short 15 years but during that time span I have had a love affair with my back yard which I affectionately called my garden. Bob helped me built a tea room off the one side of the house complete with walls made of jasmine covered lattice, mirrors and art work and seating for 4. A nice lace to relax in the late spring or early fall. 

Next to that I had an outdoor studio where I could work on messy stuff. It had a canopy made of mesh screening to help keep the sun off of me on sunny days, an outdoor sink with running water and a place to sit if a break was needed. 

Farther back on same side I had a pergola that housed all my paintings. Bob built it for me the first winter we lived here and I loved it dearly...It was covered in three types of jasmine and smelled so divine every spring. You could smell our back yard from the street. We had two benches where you could sit out of the hot sun if you desired. 

Next to the pergola was a section of bare ground that had acquired the name, on the first day of living here,  "The grave yard." That is where Bob put all the bird houses he made perching them on post in various heights. It was like a small town. It had a train station, church, school house, soda fountain and feed and seed shop. They were so cute poking up out of the tree branches like a town in the hills.

Then there is my ancient sand pine we named the 'ugly tree' that I dearly love and I am sure will be one of the first things to be removed with new owners...But I will try to not think about it since I have no control and need to let go. 

I walk around and look at the beautiful trees we planted that are finally coming into their own. In the spring the wild plums bloom but have not gotten fruit yet. The magnolia is finally blooming and looking wonderful. The Palatka Holly is 40 feet tall now  and my Mary Noll Holly has overgrown her space but is thriving. My pergola is in full bloom every spring and my wisteria surprised me and started growing a couple of years ago...full of beautiful hanging bloom every spring.  I am going to try to get one started from the seed pods...for my new yard.

I spent some of each day walking around out there taking photos of the daily blossoms and critters I found and captured with my camera. I had a number of ideas for future art but as happens, life gets in the way of our plans.

We are moving closer to my daughter to have better access to shopping and events in preparation for when we can't drive ourselves around...It is not something we like to think about but I can attest to the need for giving up your licence at a timely age every day when I read the accidents caused by elderly drivers..In my county 68% of the population is over the age of 65...You would think they would have planned this when touting it as being a place for retirement...planned shopping and transportation and of course being a healthy and active 60+ age I didn't think of it then nor did Bob who could keep up with the best of them. 

It was sad for me to watch Barry taking apart the lawn mower garage so he could move it to his place for the riding mower we gave him.
Barry hard at work trying to get the parking garage taken apart
Taking my garden apart and packing it up is one of the hardest things I have ever done with a home and we have had 3 homes to move from...Once I figure out what I want to keep and use up in my new tiny yard I will see if any one wants the remainder and after that it will go on the curb for free pick up...

Tonight as a car went roaring up the street with the music so loud reverberating from speakers and our two  neighbors have all moved, one from a rental but the other from relocating I knew we have made the right decision. Both house are large, 4 and 6 bedrooms and we have nothing against families but the neighborhood seems to attract unsavory and unsettled  kinds so will not mind leaving it all behind. 

It has been a long journey this year getting through all the paper work required to purchase a short sale home and now finally seeing a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel but I think we should be moved by mid to end of January.






No comments:

Post a Comment