Friday, August 23, 2013

AUGUST MOON 13 Day 3


August Moon Day
 Blessings


Sometimes we get too caught up with life's circumstances. Count the blessings you've had to be grateful for this year.

I have been so blessed it will be hard to count all of them. I grew up as a middle child with all the pitfalls that entails. I played second fiddle to my older sister who was also the oldest grandchild and I was always overshadowed by my brother, the only boy and little sister, who was of course the baby. Because of that I learned early on how to compromise in life and I had a stubborn streak that got me in as much trouble then as it does now. But it has taught me tenacity and endurance which has served me well throughout my 70 plus years. In hindsight I would have to say that being a middle child was a blessing for me.

 As an adult I am blessed with a wonderful husband who supports and encourages me in everything I decide to undertake which is most anything new to me. I have a loving and healthy family of 4 children, 2 sons and 2 daughters and now I have 4 granddaughters and 6 grandsons. In the past two years our family has grown even more by the addition of 2 great granddaughters and 1 great grandson.

I am blessed the luxury of being able to do almost everything I have ever wanted to do. I still have a few things on my bucket list but I am looking forward to doing them if time allows and it is in my power to do so.

I have been blessed with many friends over the years though I am sorry we have often been remiss in staying touch after moving to a new area. 

I have had the good fortune to have lived in many different places with my all time favorite being the Pacific Northwest in state of Washington with Germany running a close second.
I feel compassion for those who are less fortunate than I am although sometimes, in the middle of a massive project, when I am tired and frustrated by what I committed myself to do, I feel this compassion is not a blessing but a curse. Still, I count my blessings that I am in the giving end and not the receiving end of the charity work I do. 

I have an insatiable curiosity, a love of reading and learning and a long list of activities I enjoy. Fortunately I am blessed with a strong healthy body that allows me to enjoy and pursue these activities and my hobbies of sewing, cooking, mixed media art and writing. Now if I could just fit a love of exercise into the hobbies I enjoy my life would be perfect.

Here are my blessings in a nutshell so to speak.

NO TIME TO WORRY

What have I done with all of my years?
Did I make good impressions and leave them behind
along with my childhood, along with my fears.
There were times when I thought I had lost my mind.
No time to worry, no time for tears.

I married young, became a wife
to a hardworking man, I could ask for no better.
Together we made a very good life
and once I even tried to knit him a sweater.
No time to worry, no time for strife.

Soon came four children, 
my life was strange.
Cooking and cleaning and working all day.
Sometimes I just wanted my life to exchange
because it left me no time for myself, no time to play.
No time to worry, everything will change.

The children all grew into fine young adults
No more cooking and cleaning and working all day,
or worrying if they would run off and join any cults.
Now it's just the two of us having fun at play
and all we have to worry about is the doc's results!

But! No time to worry, life is too short.
Just have fun and be a good sport!


Darlene Sperber


2 comments:

  1. Your poem is beautiful, as is your heart. We are kindreds, it seems... I love meeting new friends via projects like #augustmoon13

    I am so glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Thanks for reading my blog.I am not sure how to do a reply to you so hope you get this through the magic of computers...I read some of your blog and love the way you travel with never a wrong turn...all turns lead to something wonderful just down the road if we are brave enough to follow it and look for the reason...I spent 2 weeks in San Francisco with my daughter in February. We were visiting my grandson who lives there...am glad you stopped over...come again...Darlene

      Delete