Sunday, August 25, 2013

AUGUST MOON DAY 13 DAY 5



Have you developed new yearnings so far this year? Let go of old ones?


August Moon day
Yearnings

 Yearning for time...Yearning for freedom!

Because of being involved  with my ASG sewing group I have felt so encumbered by the amount of time required to keep up with the myriad of charity projects the group has taken on. It was one of the reasons I withdrew from ASG a couple of years ago. Why I thought it would be any different I don't know but it hasn't changed at all. I always try to do what I can and help those who need a helping hand but again I feel completely bogged down in charity. Yet I look at all the wonderful items the different members make for the local charities, schools and Salvation Army 'back to school' clothes and I am ashamed for feeling that way. 

Because of my feelings I started asking around to see how they get so much sewing done in their days when I get so little done and now I feel better ..The ones who do all the sewing have nothing else to do in their lives. They sew! That is their hobby and life. 

But it is not the life I want...so my need to be free of that obligation has led me to give notice to the group that I am withdrawing from ASG as of the end of this year. I am not renewing my membership.Now I will have time to actually sew the things I have been wanting to sew...Things for myself or for gifts.

That is what I am letting go of this year...being obligated to others. For the coming year I will  work on the goals I have set for myself for the new year and enjoy every moment of my new found freedom. I will be obligated only to myself. 

Yay for time...Yay for freedom!

I wrote this poem in 2007 after receiving an award for putting in more than 1000 hours doing charity work. I do not want any more awards.


Charity, Thy Name is Abused

Charity, thy name is abused, too many needs
time is running out, I have no more to give
I can't say no, "ask me no more...."

Unwed mother of six, asking for more
I give and give but then you want more 
I can't say no, "ask me no more...."

Homeless, in need of a coat, meal and a bed
a place to sit and eat, perhaps even sleep
I can't say no, "ask me no more...."

Abused child, living in fear of it's life
a safe haven where she can spend the night
I can't say no, "ask me no more...."

A siren wailing in the air, a mother's son
has lost his life, too many needs 
I can't say no, "ask me no more"

Charity, thy name is abused
too many needs, I can't fix them all 
time has run out, I have no more to give
I've learned I can't say no so "ask me no more...."

Darlene Sperber




2 comments:

  1. Dearest Darlene, you are such a large and generous soul! I love and admire all that you do for everybody! And I understand that you need to stop and give yourself time to do just exactly what you need. Hurray for Darlene! Wishing you many hours spent on just for Darlene projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Letting go of obligation may be the biggest act of liberation we ever commit.
    Spaciousness is SO underrated and yet how can we survive without it? xx

    ReplyDelete