Sunday, August 25, 2013

AUGUST MOON 13 Day 6


August Moon Day
Zeniths and Nadirs

Where have the highlights and low points been for you so far in 2013? Where are you now?
How would you like your year to end?


Thinking back over the year I think the highlight was my trip to San Francisco in February with my oldest daughter to visit her youngest son, my grandson. We spent 8 days there, staying in her vacation condo right in the middle of town within walking distance of all the tourist sights like China Town etc. My Grandson, picked us up at the airport and worked down close to the waterfront just a few miles away as the crow flies but walking up and down hills we found out the hard way it was over 5 miles.  We had purchased a 7 day travel pass and stayed to visit with him where he worked tending bar and did not want to start the pass until the next day so it would last us the whole time we were there. Plus we had just spent hours on the flight from Orlando to our destination in San Francisco so the walk back would do us both good. Or so we thought...After leaving him at his bar we decided it was not so far so we would just walk to the condo. I think every road in San Francisco goes up hill...we walked forever, finally getting to the condo with our butts dragging. Slept good that night.

While we were there we visited as many sights as we could fit in and some we had not planned on but were able to be cause of my grandson being our tour guide. On my bucket list was to walk the Golden Gate Bridge which  we did...over and back. The weather was perfect and the crowds were minimal.  We watched the America's Cup boats practicing on the bay, saw dolphins at play and watched a bank of fog roll in from the ocean. What a beautiful experience it was.

I have had many more wonderful experiences during the year but this was an unexpected surprise for me.

The lowest time for me was when my good friend passed away so suddenly. It was not unexpected as she had a heart problem from her early years and she knew her time was limited. But she went to bed one night feeling great and never woke up. I will say that is the way to do it when your time comes. I am glad she had a peaceful passing but I do miss her. Each Friday morning Bob would leave for his volunteer job at the hospital and she would come over and together we would talk, sew or do some other art project together. I still miss her all these months later and still have that expectation of her popping in for coffee and visiting. Another friend told me that was why I get so 'down' each week. It seems to always happen on fridays. She is probably right. 

Right now I am in a good place. Tying up loose ends and finishing up with the groups I am leaving behind. Working on getting caught up with my Life Book pages and making my plans for the coming year.I am planning, by the time this year ends, I will have shed a few pounds, walked more than a few miles, created some wonderfully fun art pieces for my yard and made more good memories with my family.

My Dream Vacation

Where would I go for a vacation of my dreams?

Perhaps a ride on a train powered by steam
up the highest mountain to look far and wide
at a wagon pulled by mules hooked as a team
to cross the vast plains where after a storm I could ride
smoothly down a rainbow's deep purple beam.

Then I'd drop off the face of this planet earth
to soar through space and watch the universe giving birth
and I will  ride a falling star as new planets are taking their place
while novas get lost deep in space.

Perhaps in my travels I will see
Why mankind prefers to be free
or learn some of the great mysteries of the age
and know why it is wars men must wage.

I would then return to earth to pass on to all
how though we live in a vastness we are so small.
Yet such a difference we each can make
if for a moment of time we will all take.

To make sure all God's creatures are lovingly cared for.
Especially those we deem to be the poor.
And remember that those who look different from us
Are parts of God's plan in which we place our trust.

For it will matter not if we are Christian, Muslin or Jew.
This is the way my dream vacation will come true.

Darlene Sperber




2 comments:

  1. Beauty and pain, the exquisite truth of what it is to be human, what it is to truly live. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Francisco is quite the amazing place and to be able to experience it at leisure is heavenly. I am jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete