Sunday, September 1, 2013

FALL IS COMING TO FLORIDA



BUTTERFLIES
and
FALL

Today is Sunday, September 1st and the day before Labor Day, another holiday we do not observe much in our old age. Not our old age but the country's old age though by some standards our country is not old. It just feels like it when I see and read and hear all of the controversies going on. Now we have one more problem popping up in Syria, as if  we didn't have enough going on in the Mideast. But back to Labor Day. 

How do you celebrate this day we have set aside to honor the working people in our country? Do you heat up the barbie for an end of summer Barbeque like my son always does or do you go on a picnic the way my family did when I was a wee girl. Will you be one of the working folk so that we who do not work can get whatever we want when we want it.  Or will you stay home like we are going to do and just relax with a football game or two like Bob or an art project like me. No matter what you do please remember the hard working people that make it all possible.

With that said I wanted to mention that I think, early in the mornings, there is a small nip in the air telling me fall in Florida is for sure just around the corner. The grass doesn't need cutting every week and the sun does not beat in my studio window which means I can open my shades and enjoy my backyard. 

Speaking of back yards. Yesterday, after opening my blinds to the max, I spent several minutes standing at said window enjoying a 'flock' of butterflies? Is that what a bunch of butterflies are called?  No matter...they were swarming around my bottle brush tree which only has a few blooms left on it so each bloom had several of the 'beautiful flying flowers' flitting around and sucking nectar out of the tiny blooms. There were yellow Sulphur butterflies and some that were black and orange though not monarchs and one I saw that was blue...I felt very honored to have them visit for a day. I feel a need to purchase a field guide to butterflies so I can find the names of each visitor to my back yard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment