Friday, September 20, 2013

TED TALKS AND ZEN

Not so long ago I was reading the morning comics and on the one comic I especially like was a mention of TED talks. I had no idea what it meant and by the time I had finished the comics I had forgotten  about it.... but...I kept coming across the reference often enough that it peaked my curiosity enough to find out what it was...How? 'Google' it of course. What I learned is that I can listen to different people talk intelligently about different subjects and not go off on a tangent of political or religious or otherwise crap. 

I love talking about politics, religion and most any other subject I can think of as long as I am not preached to or put down or made to feel stupid because I am not an expert on the particular subject. Politics, for example, are not spoken in my house. Too many times it has turned ugly so I said; "that's it...no more!"   When I discovered TED talks I was most happy. I can't carry on a conversation with the speaker but I can listen, learn and perhaps have a change of heart about many things. I can learn about new things and more about old things. My blood pressure stays stable, I do not get ulcers nor do I feel a need to 'fix' damaged egos or feelings. I can just enjoy! I subscribed to the daily TED talk and today I enjoyed listening to "Why Mayors should rule the world" and it was the first intelligent idea I have heard concerning our state of the 'world' in such a long time and wondered why. 

The word 'why' leads me off in a whole new direction so I will leave my question unanswered for now. There are just too many "whys"...

While I listened to the TED talk I did this Zentangle. It is the first time I tried one using angular instead of curves as my 'string'.It did make it harder for me to do as I kept wanting to curve my base lines..which I finally did...I think Zen does not flow smoothly when there are angles...

1 comment:

  1. I am loving seeing your daily Zen tangles! Yeah for TED talks!!! If you haven't seen it yet be sure and watch Dr. Brene Brown's TED talk on the power of vulnerability - it's awesome and she's a teacher/friend of mine from Texas.

    ReplyDelete