Saturday, September 28, 2013

THINGS WE REMEMBER

This morning I started my new routine. I call it my 12 step program since it is a tape of 12 basic yoga poses. It is so basic it is named Yoga For Dummies. Years ago, when I was young and agile and lived in Indiana, I took yoga classes from an oriental man who was a wonderful  teacher. He had so much to offer and his cost was so affordable. I don't recall how I learned about him but we, a car load of friends drove into Gary, Indiana to take the classes in a closed down store right in the middle of town. It was a 2 hour class and during the first class he said, and this is a quote I will never forget, " You will never know how good yoga is for you until you stop practicing it." I think of him saying that every time I get a pain in my back, stitch in my body and just plain ache all over...This tape I am using is so appropriate since I am a dummy for ever having stopped practicing yoga. As I was struggling to do even a semblance of the basic pose, sometimes having to use a chair for support,  I remembered the way it used to be...and how wonderful I felt and I am looking forward to that day again.

I am trying to establish a regular routine since that seems to work best for me as opposed to random exercise. It is too far to drive any place for a structured workout. I know myself well enough to realize it will not last . I have all the gym equipment here in my home that I need from yoga tapes, walking tapes, exerstrider poles for outdoor walking, top of the line elliptical machine with a TV in front of it for helping to pass the time to a couple of free weights and an  exercise ball...No more excuses...I will just do it! And by the way, after just one day of my 12 step program I feel better and more energetic...

After my exercise this morning I took a walk around my garden and took these photos. I love the spider. I thin it is a Golden Orb Garden Spider. We get lots of them in the fall and enjoy watching them as they weave their lives in our presence.That's our spoiled baby Marshal inside the screen in the background. He is a rescue dog and of unknown origin. The vet thinks he is part collie and part shepard. He is clipped now but normally has a coat like a collie with coloring like a shepherd so perhaps the vet is right though Marshal thinks he is human and honors us with his presence. And we love him for it!


I am not a gardener so I am not sure what this flower is but we get blooms each fall on the ends of the stems. It dies out in the winter but always comes back. It was among the dead and dying plants at the nursery  so we got it for almost nothing. A good investment.The butterflies love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment