Friday, October 18, 2013

BLOGTOBER FEST 2013 DAY 18

Two sides of paper
Today I started making a giant paper rose from a Martha Stewart tutorial.  She called for double crepe paper sheets...I've spent several days driving around to every store in my county and some in the neighboring county looking for crepe paper in something other than streamers. Non existent other than on the internet and it requires a 10 day delivery date and 3 times what the cost of the paper was and didn't have the color I wanted...plain old ivory. Amazon has the best paper but not in the right color so...as is usual for me I improvised...I made my own paper using tissue in white and cream and deli wrap papers and good ole Elmers school glue in clear. Worked great...

15 sheet of finished paper
I spent the morning gluing first one side of deli wrap with cream tissue and then after it dried the other side with white tissue. I wanted a contrast and since the cream was too yellow the white bleached it out a bit and made a nice subtle contrast. 

Even though I was tired after getting up at 4 this morning I was anxious to see how it would work so after dinner I marked and cut the petals, curled the edges with a pencil and started wrapping on an old flower stem I had saved. I save everything...I have all the petals on and secured with thin florist wire. Tomorrow I will work a bit more to make sure the petals stay where I want them by using a drop of glue strategically placed and after all that I will make leaves with left over paper and paint then when dry I will put the green parts on...I think it will look nice when finished though when looking at it now I think I will take it apart and reverse the order of the colors and put the cream on the inside so it shows rather then the white...Think I will sleep on that idea!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Darlene! You are so resourceful! Truly! I can't wait to see the results but marvel at the way you devised to make the much needed ivory paper. Wow! Meanwhile, I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete