Thursday, November 14, 2013

NORMALCY AGAIN!

Yesterday morning we took my daughter to her flight and arrived back home about 9:30. We didn't need to leave until 7:00 but as us usual for me I woke up way too early so I got up at 4:00, drank one cup of coffee and worked the crossword puzzle before anyone else was up other then Bob. That made for a long day at the end of two weeks of long days. Our new bed arrived in the afternoon on the day company left and  I was so incredibly tired I could hardly wait to try it out. I went to bed at 8:45 last night and did not awake until 7:00 this morning. Yesterday my age reared her ugly head and reminded me I was not 20 anymore. But normalcy has returned to my life once again.
Hand sewing sample on dyed tees

Today I went to my hand sewing class and started a sample on two tees I had dyed earlier. One is lighter then other so makes a nice contrast. I have no idea what I will do with the piece I am working on but will try to make it into something nice or at least useful. This piece is to learn to control the length of the stitch and how and when to use different stitches. I have drawn my pattern on the double layer of tees using a stencil and I am using 3 strands of variegated orange/cream embroidery thread for the stitching. I can see by the photo that I need a lot of practice before I start on my real project. 

While I was at my sewing class we started talking about how sewing has changed over the years. First we did hand sewing, then sewing machines came into being and we were able to do much of what we sewed on a sewing machine that has over the years become so sophisticated they cost almost more than a car. Then electronic embroidery machines were invented and again they cost way more then than the old embroidery hoop of yesteryear. It also has tried to replace the hand embroidery. But like many things we do we learn that sometimes the new way is not always the best way. Hand sewing  doesn't need much other than fabric, thread and a needle and sometimes a hoop. 

I personally own 3 sewing machines.One is a Janome and weighs only 7 pounds. I bought it specifically for class work because of its weight. Important when I had to lug it some place. Then I have a Pfaff 7550 which I would not trade for all the tea in China. It does simple embroidery and is a work horse when it comes to sewing. I also have one of those very sophisticated machines that cost me an arm and leg and does very wonderful embroidery...One of those things I just had to have.  I rarely use it preferring my old Pfaff. 

Then I have a Serger I bought back in the 80's before they became the "machine" to have. It is another work horse though mostly it is good for finishing hems and seams neatly. I have all those machines, two of them sitting here collecting dust, two of them getting used on a regular basis, my serger and my Pfaff... So, not only is hand sewing cheap to do but is relaxing to do. That is the best part for me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment