Monday, January 27, 2014

LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIPS

I have a love hate thing going on with my computer and all things electronic. A couple of weeks ago I discovered my DVD burner would not burn disk even though it had been working perfectly a few days previously. Then shortly after that I saw my virus program was not working but would not update and left me with no virus program.

After spending and inordinate amount of time trying to figure out my DVD drive I finally said to heck with it. But the virus program really ticked me off since I had half a year left on it and they are not cheap and I do all my banking online so could not be with out it.

So I called the number given for support and after 4 hours, I kid you not, 4 hours I spent on the phone with them. After all that time I was told I needed to purchase their lovely program to the tune of $200 fix my computer remotely. By now it is the wee hours of the morning and I am needing to leave the next day for my daughter's home for the Christmas holiday. I ended up not purchasing the program but came home 4 days later, dinked around a little more and was finally able to to get it up and running again good as new. I just uninstalled it and re installed it using the registration number...Now why could they have not told me about doing that. All of these problems with the virus program and the DVD driver happened right after a "Window's Crucial Upgrade."  Microsoft's words not mine.

Now my DVD drive is still not working. Even though I am not worried about it right now I decided to do an online chat with the company support and they gave me a couple of suggestions for fixing it...I said thank you and proceeded to follow the directions to the letter. By the time I finished doing as they instructed I had messed up my Google home page, lost all my information I had stored on it and when I hit my Google icon on desktop I got the 'Bing' home page which had a stupid ad that kept popping up in the middle of the page . When I tried to close it out it popped over to another tab which was for an upgrade to all the drivers on my computer...I could not get rid of it and my two choices were to save  or install...The save button would not work so finally out of frustration I said install. Hours later I finally got it uninstalled. My very old Google page is now up and running but not the new one. My DVD driver still is still not working but at least now I can open email and find what I want with out having to deal with 'Bing', 'Yahoo' or any other home page I do not want. 


Then to make my whole day complete I wanted to watch a movie on my DVD player connected to my "Smart TV" and my settings on the set are changed (another wonderful upgrade) and I can't use it or the VCR even though a few days ago it worked just fine. That means another appointment with the cable carrier...



But no problem...I have a small player I use for class videos so I decided to tote it to the living room and plug it in...watch the movie on it and then tote it back to its storage space. So out it came along with a serge box and stretched cord across the room to the outlet. I  plugged it in and voila...nothing...no matter what I did it would not work. 

About now I am ready to throw all the TVs, computers and any other devise that even remotely appears to be anything  but hand driven out the window. But I didn't. Instead came back in to my computer, sat down  and starred at it, wondering where my astrological chart had me at this time and what kind of karma was I working off today.

Now the cardinal rule to any problem is to trouble shoot it from the simple to the extreme. How did I forget that?  My super hero to the rescue! Hubby took things in to his own hands and checked why the little DVD player would not work and it appeared to be a plug in the back that was not inserted fully into the slot...DUH!...first thing to check and I forgot to do it...

Out came the surge plug again and we get everything set up and are finally going to watch the movie we started out to watch a couple hours earlier. Great! About a half an hour into the movie we both agreed it was not to our liking so off it went. Back into the storage with the DVD player and on came an old stand by, Law and Order. That is when I went back to my sewing machine that I felt confident I could make it work.



So the sewing I had intended to get done today got waylaid by my need for electronics in my life. How much simpler and serene it would be if I could just rid myself of all of them. Well, not my sewing and washing machine. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL... forgive me for laughing so loudly, just couldn't help it. But I really do know what you're going through with all that. And you're right, all these expensive things we can't seem to do without can make our lives sort of miserable.
    A cute write about it :)

    ReplyDelete