Friday, February 7, 2014

DEARLY DEPARTED

Several years, in fact it was 58 years ago, my husband objected to me hanging onto a pair of saddle oxfords that had come unsewn on the sides. I kept telling him I could get them fixed but he insisted I pitch them and get new. Finally he bought me new shoes at the PX and after presenting me with new ones he pitched mine into the trash. it was like losing an old friend since I had them from my sophomore year in high school. But I got used to my new penny loafers and finally forgot about my old friends the saddle oxfords. Fast forward 58 years...




The other day, after at least 5 years of me complaining about his sandals that he bought in 2002 when we first moved to Florida, I bought him a new pair of shoes........



.....to replace the ones that were so worn the cork soles were only about a quarter inch thick when they should have been an inch  thick.....





...... and the straps over the arch were held together with black electrical tape. 









He ask me if we shouldn't have a solemn ceremony to celebrate the life of these dear old friends.....









I said NO...just suck it up and pitch them...He then ask if this had anything to do with the saddle oxfords...

2 comments:

  1. What a charming story of shoes and a marriage. How fortunate you two are to have these shared experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a lot of shoes like most women, I have a few good old friends. And parting is such great sorrow.

    ReplyDelete