Sunday, December 2, 2012

#reverb12 Day 3: What do you really wish for?

Imagine a scenario where you only had one year left to live. What is one thing that you really wish to do that you just haven't had the chance to accomplish yet?

I would like to add: what steps could you take (however small) to ensure that you accomplish this thing in 2013?


What do I really wish for? I thought about this prompt and at first I thought what I really wished was to be able to live back in Washington state. I loved it there and planned, my whole married life, while living in Indiana for 28 years,  to move there when we retired. We did just that and worked for a while, bought a house built in the 1920's which I loved and enjoyed what I thought was the perfect place to be. Then things changed and the cost of living went through the roof. The roof we spent a fortune replacing since it had 3 layers, one being shake shingles and the other two of questionable materials. Actually we considered it 4 layers since it had a layer of moss covering almost the whole roof. Moss is typical in Washington but most home owners keep it under control. Not so with the previous owners who did nothing, including hauling off their garbage. We had bought the proverbial money pit in that house but it did not stop me from loving it. Unlike the homes built today it had such character  It was a "Craftsman" style home with 21 beautifully styled windows which we also replaced at great cost to us since we wanted to have them energy efficient but keep the style intact. We had different plans when we bought the home but as is common with the best laid  plans, it did not work out. We sold the house in January of 2001, packed up our house hold goods and put them in storage then headed out on our greatest adventure of traveling around the country and into Canada where we were on 9/11.

We ended up here in Florida and in March of 2002 we contracted to have a house built here in Citrus County. We moved in the first of September 2002. It is a wonderful house and I am not unhappy here but I think my heart will always be in Washington. I know that is unlikely ever to happen so I will quietly think about how it could have been but isn't. I will try to bloom where I am planted...

Now what I wish for most of all is to be able to enjoy the time I have left on this earth doing the things I love doing. Mixed media art which includes painting, drawing, sculpting, assemblages, sewing and making list for my ever so helpful hubby. He does all my grunt work after I get a project started. And added to my list of what I want most is to let Bob and I and my extended family and friends stay healthy. I wish for my faithful dog to get over his allergy to what ever it is and not have to be so uncomfortable scratching.

Mostly though what I wish for is to be more computer efficient so I do not have to spend so much time figuring out how to make something work.

In order to make all my wishes happen I will do some art each day, no matter small it may be, I will continue to exercise and get a few miles of walking in each day and keep feeding my dog yogurt. And as for the computer. I will just keep dinking around and eventually I will know what I am doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment