Wednesday, August 28, 2013

AUGUST MOON Day 8:


August Moon Day 

Letting Go
What are three things you would like to let go of before the year is out? See if you can list three physical things and three emotional ones.

For bonus points: conduct a burning ceremony or release your secrets into nature by writing them onto leaves/stones and dropping them into the nearest river/ocean.

Letting go of physical things is pretty easy. I would like to let go of a few pounds for one. And be able to lose them permanently.

The second thing I would like to let go of is the negative feelings I have about seeing a doctor. The feeling that they order so many test for no reasons other than to pad their bill. 

Last but not least is to let go of this obsession I have with collecting 'stuff'. It used to be fun to collect it and a topic of conversation with people I would meet when they would ask what I did. I would hand them my card that had my name along with "collector and creator of stuff." But now my 'stuff' is taking over my life, my thoughts and my space. I need to stop collecting and start using. 

Emotionally I have a lot of things I would like to be rid of before the year is over with. But for starters I will address the pounds again. I have learned I am an emotional eater so I would like to let go of the obsession I have with food. The first thing I think of in an emotional situation is to head to the kitchen. I feel like 'food' can fix anything. need to stop that.

I would like to let go of the ache to live elsewhere and just be happy where I am now. I dream of the Pacific Northwest, I smell it in the air and I see it in the clouds. I miss it terribly but know you can't go home. It will never be the same as it was before so I need to just stop. I need to finally admit to myself that where I am is where I am going to stay.  

I need to let go of the feelings that no matter what I do it is not quit good enough.

Friday I am going to conduct a 'burning ceremony' and get rid of all the negatives in my life...once and for all..

Oh No!

I stepped on the scales and what did I see
A whole bunch of numbers all of them threes
I felt so humiliated I punished myself
By eating all the chocolate left on the shelf.

Now I am shopping for a pretty swim suit.
Wishing instead of chocolate I had eaten some fruit.
I whispered to the clerk, "Does it come in my size?"
"Not as long as you insist on eating French fries!"

I left that store with my spirits so low
and as fate would have it I stumped my toe.
I got caught off balance and fell on my face
so they used a crane to lift me, oh what a disgrace.

I rode in that wagon, to the hospital I went
realizing I was tired of wearing Omar's tents.
The next time I shop for a suit to swim in
I'll be wearing a thong and showing some skin.

I've learned a hard lesson one that will last
That once in a while it's good to go on a fast
Never again will I need food for a crutch
When I choose my food I'll use a soft touch

When next you see me walk into that store
I won't need to use the big double door.
That pretty little swim suit I wanted so bad
I'll buy two, one with flowers and one in plaid.

Then I will meet my friends, we'll have a light lunch
and hang out together, we're a pretty good bunch.
We support each other in all our endeavors
Skinny friends we'll be forever and ever.

Darlene Sperber






4 comments:

  1. Darlene, you are so honest here and your words are bringing me to tears because I understand so much of what you are feeling. I found writing this blog post on "letting go" very difficult. And you just went for it.

    I understand your struggle with weight. I started gaining weight in the last ten years and find it very difficult to manage. I also have certain fears about doctors not doing what is right for me but what pays for their equipment.

    Truly thank you for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my friend. Enoughness is the key. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list of 'letting go's' and your obsession with 'stuff' really resonated with me. I too am working on letting go of the clutter in my life, so I am sending good wishes that you find a way to say goodby to all the collections you've gathered but no longer need in your life =-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darlene, I really relate to this post, especially your emotional 'letting gos'. Enjoy your burning ceremony. xx

    ReplyDelete