Sunday, September 15, 2013

LET'S HAVE SOME FUN




My painting...WIP

This weekend I spent playing with Ellen as we watched a streaming video and learned a new technique of painting with acrylics. Ellen finished her painting but I got only about half way through mine. I tend to get caught up in detail and worry if it is done correctly and does it look right. Ellen's approach to painting is to treat it as if she were still in kindergarten. Don't worry if you get messy, just have fun. That is the important part. Just have fun. 

I think the 'having fun' part is what is missing from my art. Seems everything needs to be  significant and serious. Needs to be perfect. I am trying to get over that and loosen up but it is hard. It is the rigid rule we were taught in school. Stay in the lines, conform, do as you are suppose to do. No decisions or deviations from the norm. No individual thinking or actions. 

So yes, it is very hard to take a paintbrush and paint away not caring whether it is the right way, whether it is good or bad. Just have fun with it. I will finish my painting and then when I start a new one I will try painting with abandonment and see what happens. And the whole time I paint I will chant Ruth's mantra. "Not bad, not good, just is."

In fact I will try to institute that concept into my whole life and see what happens. Bet I will be much happier.


Here is Ellen's  completed painting. Can you see how much fun she had.


It is very beautiful

2 comments:

  1. I love both of your paintings! I love the get messy and have fun message of your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine...I need to learn to get messier and have more fun...

      Delete