Monday, September 16, 2013

SEWING AND TANGLING





My day got off to a really early start since I had to get my rear out of bed by 6:00 am so I could be on time to my destination. 

Today was my one of my sewing group meetings. Membership in ASG has fallen off a bit and in this group which is a 'Special Interest Group' geared to couture sewing it has dropped quite a bit for various reasons. So...today was a re-group and re plan meeting of the onew interested in continuing. We have changed things a bit which I think all good groups need to do on occasion. We are still an advanced sewing group but not so demanding on how much we needed to do in a year. Plus we are dropping two summer months of meetings since it seems to be a time when every one is either gone visiting or have visitors. It was also stressed that EVERYONE has to take a turn at leading a workshop of some sort. 

So we have successfully planned our next year with a variety of activities including road trips to boutiques and thrift stores. It promises to be a fun group once more. 

I am doing a workshop next month on coloring on fabric with water soluble crayons and adding some free motion sewing to the item. The idea being to be able to add the technique to a garment. Hummmm.   I wonder how that will work for washing the garment. Think I will try it out.

Then on Thursday we are getting our 'hand sewing' group started. This will be a really small group since hardly anyone wants to sew by hand now a days...Everything needs to be fast and easy. But that is okay as we can work in our leaders home which makes it good for her and she makes great coffee. That makes it good for me!

We will be working with the Alabama Chanin  books  http://alabamachanin.com/  and using some of her stencils she so generously provides free of charge if you want to down load and cut them out yourself. Her ready to use ones are a little pricey so I will be making my own. 

My day started early and lasted until afternoon...it has been a long one so I didn't feel like starting on a project when I got home. I had coffee and worked on a tangle. My goal with this tangle was to incorporate my name into it somehow. What an absolutely wonderful way to relax and let the day fall away. I think I am becoming addicted but tomorrow I am going to work again on my Harvest Queen painting. I want to get it finished. 


2 comments:

  1. Your Zen tangles are beautiful!!! Love hearing the success of your group changing its dynamics with the renewed promise of fun and creativity!
    Yeah for an awesome day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I have loved sewing since I was a wee girl and now am becoming addicted to Zentangles as a way to relax...

      Delete