Saturday, December 28, 2013

CHRISTMAS WEEK 2013


Glass ornament from my son Barry
I have not blogged for a week or more so decided to do a posting on this holiday just past



We traveled to my daughter's home in Flemming Island arriving on Monday afternoon the 23rd of December. The remainder of that day was spent visiting and making plans for the following few days. Debbie and Stan, her other half, had planned a gathering of friends for cocktails and finger foods on Christmas Eve. Couples were invited to bring their children if they choose so we ended up with several children and a couple of teens. They were so well behaved you didn't even realize they were there. We had a fun game to play called "Not your Mother's Trivia" or something like that. They were fun questions evoking some off the wall answers. For example my husband and father of four was ask 'what secret did he have that no one knew of'...His answer was that he did not have any children...so you can see it was certainly not a truth or consequences game but we had much fun playing it. If course the party ended pretty early in evening so families could go home and await Santa. It was a fun evening, a chance to dress up in something other then our every day garb, an abundance of good food and enjoyed by all.

The next day was Christmas and we traveled to my grand son and his fiancee's home for dinner. This was their first time to host a holiday dinner but even though they were nervous we all knew they could pull it off and they did superbly. It was tasty and wonderful. I especially enjoyed since while my daughter and future grand daughter in law were busy in the kitchen I was able to sit and visit with my grand son 'one on one'. With his busy schedule and my living so far away we don't get to do that often so there was a lot of catching up to do. It was one of many highlights of my week.



On Christmas day I got a phone call from my son who was not able to come down from Indiana and I finally found out who my secret Santa was. This is the gift he sent me.






There is a bottle of Espresso Balsamic Vinegar and a bottle of Tuscan Herb Olive Oil. I have not gotten to try it out yet but know it is going to be wonderful.










Bob using his Kindle holder




The day after Christmas Debbie and I stayed home and did some sewing. She is adjusting a tee shirt pattern so it fits me perfectly. We did get two tees cut and partially sewn but not completed so have no photos to show but while I did the ribbit stitch on the one I was sewing she made her dad a kindle holder from a photo she saw online...It is a stuffed pillow that props the kindle up while you read but Bob found it worked as well for his books. Now I want one. 


The next day, Friday, Bob and Stan went 'shooting' while Deb and I went shopping. Oh my what a glorious day that was. We shopped in all the stores I never get to shop in unless I am visiting her.






The first stop was World Market where I bought these great coffee makers

The top one you steep the coffee and then let it drip into the coffee cup. It  makes wonderful robust coffee with low acidity and I will use it again






The bottom one called an "Indian Coffee Maker" I will try it tomorrow...it is really different and I bought it for it's uniqueness to me. The coffee is steeped much like the one above and dripped into the bottom half of the set then poured into the smaller of the cups. The hot milk is in the larger cup and the two are poured back and forth to blend...Different fr sure but I am looking forward to trying it out.


Then our shopping took us to Steinmart where I splurged and bought several chunky necklaces and a bracelet to go with...

Here are my acquisitions from that day (2 on top right and all on bottom photo) and some from the past. In fact some of them were my mother in laws...Bob made the holders so I can hang them and not have them constantly tangled






Now I have necklaces for my new tees!



And chunky bracelets...some were gifts from Deb...




Most of these earrings were recently acquired and look great with the after Christmas purchases






























After all the shopping we stopped in at Barnes and Nobles to have a latte at Starbucks and browse the books. It is the first time I have been in Barnes and Nobles in years and I enjoyed it immensely. Found several books I would like to read but will find them on Amazon so I can read them on my Kindle.


There were many more wonderful gifts but no photos to go with. Like a box of home made cookies from my daughter in Washington. They were scarfed down before I could think to photograph them. There is a beautiful "coach " bag from my future grand daughter in law all the fabric and notions for making an outfit from Deb. Mostly there are the memories of a magical week in 2013.

2 comments:

  1. Darlene I enjoyed reading about your Christmas. Your blogs feel like a warm letter from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth..I hope the people who read my blogs are friends...and I am especially to see you read it.

      Delete