Thursday, December 19, 2013

REVERB 13 Day 19..Self Compassion

The Buddha said, “You, yourself, as much as anybody else in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
In the past year, I have been on a mission to understand and practice self-compassion, which is sometimes defined as "extending compassion to one's self in instances of perceived inadequacy, failure, or general suffering," and what I have learned has made me realize that this practice is at the heart of everything. 
How will you practice self-compassion?
Self-compassion is extending compassion to one's self in instances of perceived inadequacy, failure, or general suffering.
Compassion is the feeling of empathy for others. Compassion is the emotion that we feel in response to the suffering of others that motivates a desire to help.

I think the only way to practice self compassion is to first practice compassion for others. I think I have always had compassion for others though letting it overwhelm me at times. still I will continue to give a helping hand to those who need one when I can. 

In doing this I hope to understand the plight of others a little better, being thankful to be on the giving side and not the receiving end and thus learning to be kinder to myself and to love and care for myself more.

5 comments:

  1. I'm smiling really big right now Darlene because you and I approached self-compassion from different directions. I am practicing on ME first and finding that OTHERS follow naturally after. I love sharing these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the image and your blog Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. This is an assemblage I made a couple of years ago honoring a rattle snake my friend's husband shot for no reason. That is his skeleton being watched over by young Buddha and another snake.

      Delete
  3. You're right, Darlene. The truth is that compassion for self and compassion for others are inextricable and cannot exist without each other. If anything, I wonder if they are born at the same time? xx

    ReplyDelete