Thursday, January 9, 2014

WHAT THE BIRD SEES and other trivia

I have this pesky Mocking bird that is attacking my window and making a complete mess of the window, screen and ledge below with, to put it mildly, bird poop. It is distracting, annoying and irritating when I am trying to do anything in my studio so I did some research on what to do to discourage them from doing this. One of the items mentioned that was not a major purchase was a set of vinyl owl eyes for the small sum of $8.00. Now first I need to drive miles to the store to purchase them involving at least a gallon of gas at $3.50 a gallon then my time which I deem quite valuable but even at minimum wages is another $14 plus dollars. So now this set of stick on vinyl eyes are up to more then $25. I could get two sets for almost the price of one if I do it on the same trip and I do have a front window the Mocking bird has discovered so if I add on another set of eyes I am spending over $33.00. And that probably will not cover the tax our dear politicians need to keep them in business. 

I am not a stingy person and I try to make ends meet and have a little left over at the end of the month but do not like waste so I am constantly looking for alternative ways to get something accomplished. Today I did just that..


What the bird sees
Since one of the deterrents for the birds is a set of owl eyes I thought why not make my own so I did. I drew two circles, colored in with a black marker and voila' I have owl eyes. And they work!  I saw the little bugger come towards the window twice and detoured as soon as he saw the eyes starring back at him. Problem solved for the cost of two pieces of card stock and a black marker..both of which are always on hand. 

I am hoping later when the light changes this will stop but if not I will make more card stock eyes...even though they are the silliest owl eyes I have seen to date they work.
Drawer of clothing patterns

I finished marking and storing all my patterns so here is a photo of the filled drawer and what it looks like when it is organized and I can find what I want. While I was doing this I came across several patterns I had forgotten I had and will be making in the coming months. So for every action there is a reaction...my reaction was "Yea! New stuff to play with."

2 comments:

  1. Leave it to you to come up with a good solution to just about everything, Sis.

    ReplyDelete