Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DOING THE FAMILIAR

I have been in sort of a creative slump for a while now so today I decided to do something familiar thinking it might help to get  me motivated. On Friday I am going to my daughters and together with her soon to be daughter in law we are going to make quilts.



We need 8 inch strips to sew the fabric to so I took bags of batting scraps saved from my quilting days and cut them into strips. Some will have to be pieced into the correct length but it is a way to use up resources already on hand. I always like using instead of wasting.



Here is the pattern we are going to do. It is a tutorial by Maureen Cracknell. Below is the link for the quilt if any one is interested..It is a free tutorial.


http://www.maureencracknellhandmade.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-herringbone-quilt-tutorial.html

9 comments:

  1. Yes Darlene, when I am in a similar kind of "slump" with regard to my creative work, I always return to the familiar and start there. Once I begin and get involved I remember why I make art. Before I know it, the creative juices are flowing...the familiar....yes! I envy your opportunity to do this kind quilt making in community with other women, and in your case, women in your family! I hope we will get to see photos of the work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another artist always understands...and I thank you for that...and I know you are right...I just need to step back and take a break and the rest will come...I am very fortunate to have such a good family and for sure will post photos of our progress this weekend

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry, but I have to say, your creative slumps would be comparable to others artistic eurekas. Understand the whole draw back, but it is easily one step back for 3 steps forward, as we will all see in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of my biggest fans...Thank you for your confidence...

      Delete
  3. Agreed ^ I would call it taking a breath. Pausing to create ready space for the next ideas to coelesce. I've always said that every person in our family exhibits their own kind of creativity, but every one of us can point directly to Mom for wherefrom it came as she holds all of it in her heart,mind, and soul and has the natural ability to bring such wonderful concepts into being in the most beautiful ways. Always delightful. Always beautiful. Always creative and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie...This pause on the weekend is going to be more appreciated then you can imagine...It will be fun to change my pace and do a familiar craft together...and no cooking involved...how can it get any better...

      Delete
  4. And...so looking forward to our project date!

    ReplyDelete